This message is from: Janet McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lynda wrote:
>Regardless of personal
>opinion concerning slaughter, the fact remains Fjords ARE being sent to
>slaughter.  WHY?  This is what I, and many others, would like to find out.

Lynda,

no surprise to me.  For those who are insulated from what is happening out
there, the economy has taken a very bad turn over the past year, and feed
prices in most parts of the country are at a historical high.  For those living
a little closer to the 'edge' this means that a) they can no longer feed their
livestock and b) no one is buying horses because of  the high price of feed
-and- their lowered
income. Thus the horse market has crashed and burned and the only buyers out
there are meat buyers.  I have been Fjord shopping over the past 18 months, and
I can tell you that most of the horses I have looked at are still for sale.  If
any of those owners can no longer support the number of animals they have, and
no one is buying, then what can they do?

Janet