This message is from: "Monica Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ruth Bushnell said:

> I suppose you had her vet checked for any irregularities...

Yep.

> One thing that caught my attention is the use of Canola oil.. there has
been
> some negative data on the use of Rape Seed in the past and while I don't
> really know how substantiated the claims are, you might look into that
> aspect and use Corn Oil instead if you think the oil is really necessary.

Hmmm.  My vet said either was just as good but I could certainly buy corn
oil next time.  What negative data is there?

> As you mentioned about fast movement... move very slowly around her and
TALK A
> LOT.  That cannot be emphasized enough. Begin to slowly stroke her around
> the head and move backward as far as she is comfortable with, then stop.
> Doing this consistently every day you will gain increments of success
until
> you will have eventually worked your way to the rump... by then you will
be
> friends. =))))

Yep, I'm pretty much doing this.  I don't tend to be much of a talker; maybe
I should make an effort to talk more.  I move slowly when I'm close to her
but faster when I'm far enough away that she can stay comfortable; I'm now
able to throw an arm up into the air from much closer than before without
her becoming afraid.  After all, the big wide world is not a quiet place and
she needs to learn to conquer her fears...

At first she was only comfortable with a quick stroke on the left side of
her neck so I would just do that and then walk away.  I can now move to her
right side and even rub her hindquarters without her leaving (but only for
very short periods of time at this point).  But it will come.  I've also
taught her a head-down cue so I can ask her to lower her head when I pet
her, which helps her to relax.  So yes I've worked my way to her rump and no
we are not yet friends, but we're a lot closer to friendship than we were
and I think she's figured out by now that I'm not going to harm her.

> It will take a lot of time and patience but great is the reward.

I hope so!

Monica in Nelson, BC