This message is from: "Monica Spencer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Marsha Jo Hannah said: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> That combination of symptoms could be due to dental issues.  Sharp
> edges on her teeth, or a loose or cracked tooth would cause her to eat
> slowly.  If she can't chew her food completely, she can't digest it
> properly, and it'll "go thru her" too quickly---smells bad, comes out
> as mush or soup, and she doesn't get much of the nutrition out of it,
> hence loses weight.

I agree completely.  The vet did say her teeth were fine but I understand
that doesn't mean they really are.  However I'm in a fairly remote location
and don't have the option of another opinion.  Fortunately Friska is gaining
weight so I'll accept it for now.

> Some Fjords are "one-person" equines.  They become very attached to
> their human---

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that.  My Tag is a one-person horse (Andalusians
and Saddlebreds can both be that way, I'm told) and he was a pretty unhappy
boy until he bonded to me...  On the other hand, Friska's owners come to
visit her and she doesn't seem to care for them one way or the other - they
say she never really has.

> IMHO, Friska can
> learn to defer to you, but if you're not going to be her long-term
> owner, she may never fully trust you.  (Or, if she does come to trust
> you, then she has to move on again, it'll take her even longer to
> trust the next person.)

I don't know how long Friska will be with me, but she can't go back to where
she came from.  I suppose it will depend on how things work out between us.
If she has to move on I will of course do everything in my power to find a
good match for her.

> Intelligence in a horse is not always an easy thing to deal with....

Yep, smart horses are highly overrated.  I do prefer them, though...

Monica in Nelson, BC