This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Janet,

> I think it is wrong to paint the entire industry with one

While I can understand your views, those pictures and that video did come
from witnesses in a slaughter facility.  The USDA post was directly from the
USDA.  None were "made up" by me or any others.  This has become a huge issue
amongst rescue groups for yes, horses are NOT supposed to be conscious during
slaughter although their hearts are supposed to be beating.  They are
supposed to be brain dead.  The problem is there so many horses being
slaughtered and the pressure on the slaughter facility workers is so high
some animals do go through without being brain dead.

For example, in Alberta, we were notified last night that there will be at
least a 1000 adult horses slaughtered before the holiday.  We were actually
contacted by a feedlot owner asking if we could find homes for numerous foals
as he cannot feed them while they wait to be slaughtered, themselves.  The
feedlots are so overloaded they cannot even supply feed for the animals, so
are pushing them through faster than ever. The workers cannot keep up with
this pace and be humane, it is physically impossible.

These are facts, we do not have to like them, or agree with them, and yes,
slaughter IS supposed to be humane in a perfect world.

Lynda C. Welch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vice President, United Equine Foundation
Norwegian Fjord Horse Breed Representative
http://www.unitedequinefoundation.org/homepage.htm

Lynda and Daniel
Bailey's Norwegian Fjords
Quality Fjords--Equine Transportation--Hand-braided Tack & Accessories
White Cloud, MI
231-689-9902
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hometown.aol.com/baileysfjords/