This message is from: "Karen Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The "auction" mare, as Sue said, was lumpy fat, no forelock, and she had
small, pig eyes.  Not terribly Fjord typey.  My impression of her was
short, fat and squatty.  She did not come with papers.  Why did I buy
her?  She was broke to drive and did so rather nicely, and she was going
to sell really cheap!

Last Saturday as she was tied in the barn waiting for the farrier, I got
a chance to stand back and really look at her.  She is now a beautiful
Fjord!  I don't know how it's possible, but when her forelock grew out,
her eyes also got bigger and her expression softened.  She's lost over
200 lbs, and although she's a "big" girl, she's no longer a bit fat.
Also, as soon as she started losing weight, the underside of her neck
would just hang and wobble.  Ewww!  Today that neck is firm and lovely.

As to the mare's temperament, she's kind and gentle (well, except when
she pins my donkey to the wall and sits on her) and generally
unflappable.  She's never even offered to kick my annoying Border Collie
who races behind her and snaps her tail.  Everything I've exposed her to
she's taken in stride.  We are now looking forward to the Saturday after
Thanksgiving when we will be driving in the Parker (Colorado) Christmas
Carriage Parade.

The only problem is when I brought her home I told my 12-year-old son we
needed a new name for her.  She came to me as "Sue Babe".   He took one
look at her, still on the trailer, and said we should name her "Fatty
Boombah", a nonsense term used by a friend in Australia.  Today we've
dropped the name Fatty (you can't refer to a lady's weight and expect her
to cooperate with you), and she goes by the name Miss Boombah.  Mostly
around home she's just Boom-boom.

Now that she's turned out so nice, I reckon I should try to find out if
she was ever registered with FBA and see if I can track down those
papers.  Mike May has already checked the NFHR for me so I know she was
never registered there.  (RATS!)   My hope is to find FBA papers, then
see if she can be registered NFHR, and then have her evaluated.  Because
although I think she's wonderful, (and always will), I'd like to know how
she stacks up against the breed standard.

So, why this whole missive?  Maybe to say that a Fjord in an auction is
not necessarily a bad end for the horse, but can be a new beginning to a
great life.

Cheers!

Karen

>At the Troyer Auction the past spring there were 11 fjords up for
auction ... Karen Keith of this list >purchased a homely red dun mare,
that one afternoon was left for 3 hours tied still hitched to a cart.
That mare today is gorgeous, she has lost a lot of >weight and her
forelock has grown and her eyes sparkle with health and joy. >This fall
the same auction had only one fjord.