This message is from: "Peter Randall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re "Has anyone ever see the perfect horse?"

See there's the rub. A wise man once said, if he ever saw the perfect horse
he'd shoot it, for why would we breed further?

We are individuals and so are horses and dogs. We don't breed only blue ribbon
individuals and we shouldn't breed only blue ribbon stallions. Too weak and
limited a gene pool is the result.

When a disease hits, you need a large and diverse gene pool to survive it.
What if there was a new form of West Nile with no vaccine available? What if
it claimed all blue ribbon stock stallions with a similar background? What if
some shorter, wilder looking stallions survived because of something that
wasn't bred out of them?

Follow this folks, because what you now have is the existence of the entire
population of Fjords in 2020 due to the unwillingness of some "amateur"
breeders who were unwilling to cull all non blue ribbon stallions.

Happened in other breeds, can happen again. Sometimes the three winged bird
survives when all the two winged ones are extinct...

Not to say we should breed poor, unsound or unstable horses but we must as
breeders (and I only aspire to such a title) strive for different things. One
for large, one for small, one for zebra stripes, one for the hell of it...

In this way we have choice for the buyer and a diversified breed able to
survive many situations and please in many ways.

BDF Titan for example sounds like an incredible specimen and would be the cats
pajamas to the start of any breeding program. Any of us would no doubt be
thrilled to own him and bragging all the time.

Then again, I like my Fjords much shorter so he's not for me is he?

W Peter Randall

[demime 0.99c.8 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
W. Peter Randall PM CHRP.vcf]