This message is from: vivian creigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

While reading through this thread I have been struck by how many people
seemingly tolerate their horses calling while in work. If a horse is calling
to his friends while he's being worked it means that he doesn't have his
full attention on the business at hand and will not learn anything, except
maybe that it's alright to ignore you.

Calling is a form of resistance in that the horse's agenda is taking
precedent over the rider/drivers. Since I spend most of my waking hours
tending to my ponies needs I don't feel the least bit out of line when I
insist that for the hour or so a day I am working them they pay complete
attention to me. After all where would I be if while trying to negotiate a
tight right angle turn in a hazard at speed one of the ponies decided to
start calling to the spare pony left back at the barn?

There is a tendency to anthropomorphize our horses. And with that comes this
notion that if we "get after them" they will not love us or we will somehow
hurt them or their feelings. Around our house we call this the "Black
Stallion syndrome".  This is just another aspect of what Lori was talking
about in her first response to "Problem Horse". Which is to say that it is
the rider/driver who must set the limits of what is acceptable not the
horses. Everytime you allow the horse to direct the action you are
allocating him far more responsibility than he should be allowed to possess.
You know, "Give em an inch.."

Vivian Creigh