This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here are the HCT values for three of my Fjords in April 1991 and 1992.
These were taken as "baseline" values for future reference.

Stella, 1977 mare      34.0, 34.2
Bjarne, 1975 gelding   34.2, 38.6
Bjorken, 1987 gelding  35.0, 35.8

Bjarne, in winter 1989 had a severe Staph infection in his shoulder which
required surgery  His blood count was low at this time, with a very high
white cell count. HCT went like this: 25, 28,32,28,24 21*,25, with readings
taken every 3 to 4 days, then weekly.  When it dropped to 21 The vet took
him off the SMZ-TMP Antibiotic which was destroying red cells and making
him anemic. As you can see, his reading was up with the others in 1991.

Bjorken had an apparent reaction to the vaccine shots in May, 2000, with a
fever of 104.5 for 3 days.  Blood tests showed HCT  o 28.4% during this time.

Kathleen, I can send a copy of the complete readouts of these blood tests
if you are interested. I didn't want to take up space on the list to copy
the whole works.

Hydration or dehydration can affect the HCT:  A mildy dehydrated horse will
have a higher HCT.  Excitement or exercise can also raise the HCT.  I often
wonder what the HCT of a sleeping Fjord would be, if you could get it
without waking him up!

Jeanin Fairbanks, Alaska, frost expected tonight!

><< I forgot to add - someone on this list may have access to the reference
>ranges
>for hematology and chemistry values specific to the  Fjord horse.
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]