This message is from: Mariposa Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There has been some good discussion lately on the list and I wish I had
more time to respond.  Talking about the "worth" of a particular horse
is interesting.  Here at my farm we have all different breeds (due to
boarding) and it's interesting to talk about the value of each.  I have
everything form a conformationally "messed up" TB gelding that was
purchased for $4,000 (that will probably take another $4,000 for Vet
bills!) to a QH that's for sale for $10,000.  Throw in a Tennessee
Walker that kicked her owner (She lost her eye) for $1,500 and a
Trakener (sp?) that's had close to a year's worth of very expensive
training and should be worth $20,000 but isn't.  All of this makes
$5,000 for a decent Fjord look pretty normal to me but people still
think that is a lot.  I tell people that the horse is the cheapest part
of the whole package you'll buy.  Ever price a new tractor???  How about
a horse trailer?  We do have a bred 9 year old trained (rides and
drives) mare for sale for $5,000 and two people so far have asked how
much she is and when I said five they said "five hundred?".  One of the
people even has a couple Fjords!!

As far as microchipping is concerned, I think that we ought to head in
that direction.  Not only for breeding identification purposes but also
to make Fjords not an acceptable breed to steal.  It could be attractive
to horse thieves that they all "look" the same so having it known that
there is positive proof of identification would be good.  All of my
adults are microchipped due to being evaluated but I think that I'll
start chipping even the young ones before evaluation time.

Thank you Hans for the Fjord fire fighting pictures.  I'm going to take
them to our next firefighter meeting and pass them around.  Maybe we
won't complain how slow the trucks are anymore!  Do you have any
pictures of pumpers?

And last but not least, we took our 7 week old colt Bragi to his second
show and entered him in the 2001-2002 halter class and he took his first
1st place!  He is very proud of his trophy.  Next Sunday we are headed
to another show (Spooner, WI if anybody else is interested) to show him
again.  You can see the confidence building in him at each show.  He
actually had a nice trot out this time instead of bucking against the
halter.  Lisa also showed Katya (Rusten x Line) in English Pleasure and
Equitation.  This was Katya's first show (with us) and she did great
too.  Need to work on her cantering to the right though... kept getting
the wrong lead.  She must have been a race horse in a previous life and
doesn't like going to the right.

Mark McGinley
Mariposa Farm
Washburn, WI