This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, you both may be right/wrong....The Unrau Fjords were used in filming
of "Clan of the Cave Bear" but the footage was never used.  As for what
early horse ancestor Whinny and Racer represent, it probably isn't the
Taki, but "Equus caballus mosbachensis" or what Dr. deb Bennett calls the
Warmblood lineage:
"By one million years ago, the Warmblood subspecies - oldest and most
primitive form of the species which we would someday know as the domestic
horse - was already well established in central Europe. From this
heartland, the horses spread outward, changing in form generation by
generation as they encountered habitat differences at the periphery of
their range."

The Taki or Przewalski was a later offshoot.  However, the picture on the
book cover of "Valley of Horses" certainly looks like a Taki.
my old gelding, Bjarne, was in that bunch of Fjords that were filmed.  Too
bad that footage as well as all of the really good Fjord footage from
"Thirteenth Warrior" will never be seen!

Jean in hot and smokey Fairbanks, Alaska, with a big fire down the road
near the Chena Hot Springs resort.  85 degrees today again!

 The roots of this is the movie
> that the Unrau's provided horses to several years ago.   >>
>
>Hi Gail-
>
>Actually, the horses Whinny and Racer depicted in the book series are Taki.

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]