This message is from: Eileen Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sue,
  My sympathies! I'm coming up on 2 years since fractures in my left ankle and
still having problems.  I'm sure your doctor(s) has told you about support
stockings, bandages, braces, etc.  For riding, I found that mid-duty hiking
boots work great.  Mine have synthetic uppers, and can be laced (or not) in a
variety of ways.  I spent the extra $$  and got really good orthotic inserts to
support my arch.  I find that this helps my ankle and leg tremendously.  I wear
my boots for all outside chores and riding.  To protect my
calves, I wear mine with half chaps with Velcro instead of zippers.
  I was also able to fit into a pair of Ariats, even with the bandage over the
ankle. (I think mine are the Heritage Paddock boots).  Again, the key is being
able to lace them in difference ways.
  Good luck, I hope you find something comfortable soon.  Don't worry about how
your leg looks, everyone will be looking at your Fjord anyway!

Eileen in West Richland WA