This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Hi List !    Going out on a bit of a limb here, but I wanted to let any
newbies to breeding know some of our thoughts on this......

In a message dated 4/20/2006 10:54:14 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> put the
> mare across the fence from the stallion and when she goes in heat you'll
> know,
>   <   Quite true !   BUT, teasing across a fence is only as good as your
> fencing. With our vinyl fencing with hot wire, it wouldnt work of course.
> With
> any wood fence, teasing mares and studs should be closely monitered IMHO. (
> Done in hand ) Stud quality metal pipe fencing is a bit safer, but again it
> needs to be watched. They can hang up a leg and become injured pretty
> quickly.
> If there is striking

 ( something we do not tolerate from our stallions ) or even when the
> mare does come into her heat cycle, boards, wire and even rails can be
> snapped pretty easily. I have seen or heard about stallions going right over
> the
> top of fences to get to mares. Handlers can get hurt if Mr. Studly is not
> trained to properly tease..... and breed,  <that is> no dangerous behavior
> allowed when a human is on the other side of the lead line. Biteing, striking
> and
> otherwise rampaging behavior does not have to go along with breeding days.
> Same with mares. It is a 2 person job, one to manage the stallion, one to
> handle the mare. If a 3rd person can help with gates, viewing the mare's
> physical
> signs from behind, all the better.  I watched a video once from Lindsey
> Sweeny with Solar being managed quite nicely from his stall, to the teasing
> shed,
> ( with a solid wall to tease behind ) to completing the deed. I have thought
> of doing a video myself, all the way from the teasing process, to folicle
> checks at the vets, to washing the stallion and mares, to wrapping tails ect.
> ect. My luck, it would be confiscated by WALLMART video police as a poor " B
> "
> rated porno flick.    ;  /

+++
 I don't agree with giving pills to bring a mare into heat unless

> it is a mare that just won't come into heat all the way.  But if your
> mare was bred once she probably doesn't have that problem.

<< Just does not work that way, sorry ! >> Using hormones along with folicle
checks by your vet, to stimulate eggs is another good tool to assist
regulating heat cycles. >>

  I don't like

> hobbles either,  I think to much can go wrong,  If there is chemistry
> between the horses you won't have to worry about kicking and that sort
> of thing too much, they will just automatically know what to do
>
> <<  Lots of things play into covering mares with live breedings. Even more
> steps to get right when doing AI. " Chemistry " between equines means a
> stallion with healthy testostrone and a mare who comes into a strong heat,
> and is
> in a  a cooperative stage of her cycle. Sounds easy.....isnt always !

    Would love to hear other comments from other breeders
on this HOT topic !
  ( hey its springtime, right ? )            Lisa