This message is from: "jgayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In this case I doubt Beth's pessimism. You are describing my Charley, who just left this earth two months ago at twenty five, a sweetheart and my best friend. C. was born huge and dwarfed his follower mother. My old Arab gelding would let him play with him nipping legs all day. C. was difficult to lead, did exactly the same thing on the lunge of escaping, loved to nip anyone who was not looking and tried his best to take advantage of his great size. Many is the time I let him have it with the crop. He laughed! I was told this was not a woman's horse. Trainers were afraid of him and his size and he made fools of them in the early shows. I was raised very strictly as a child and believe me I was not easy on his bad behavior and he got his punishment.

I think Charley's problem was he was overly bright and he thought himself an equal with his rider. He loved crowds and knew when they adored him. "Here comes Charley" "Yeah Charley!" He was so big he could stretch that long neck from his stall across the aisle to nip anyone going by. I was dressage and finally found him, did not start breaking him until seven, a male rider who handled him beautifully and they made great progress until Charley at age 14 and third level, winning, caught his leg under my arena door and popped a sesamoid. He had wanted to come home and would hide behind the barn when I got the trailer out.

He mellowed as he grew more mature, was my best pal and family. So do not give up. The colt probably sees you as Mom and needs a good nip and eventually a shoe in the right place. I think, barring some genetic disorder, you will find him your smartest and most winning fellow.
Jean Gayle

Author
'The Colonel's Daughter"
Occupied Germany 1946 to 1949