This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Beth Pulsifer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I'm a newcomer to the Fjord world and I think I'm getting hooked...:)

Funny how that happens!

> I need some information on saddle fit.. I have a wide tree dressage
> saddle and hoped it would fit my new Fjord mare [...]
> it looked like it sat just perfect [...]  However when I
> lunged her in it it rode way up on her neck.  [...] She
> doesn't have much for withers...

Yup, sounds like a Fjord, alright.  My first equine was a donkey,
which gave me a good foundation for addressing the conformational
challenges that Fjords can present.  In the donkey and mule world, it
is quite common for saddles to have either a crupper or breeching, to
keep the saddle from drifting forward over the withers onto the neck.
The problem is wide ribs, and no withers---too often if the saddle
does stay in place, it's because the tree "catches" on the animal's
shoulderblades---not good.  I added cruppers to all 3 of the saddles
that I had for my Fjords (the Western one required having a
saddlemaker add a D to attach the crupper to; the 2 OrthoFlex hybrids
each came with a D for a crupper).  We rode in steep country a lot,
and our geldings seemed to appreciate having their saddles "tied down"
in back, so they stayed where they belonged.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon