This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 5/19/2006 11:51:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This message is from: "jgayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I agree completely Wayne.  I have collected antique and "different" horse
> bits for thirty years. There are nearly nine hundred. You can not imagine
> the history from cruelty to gentleness in these styles of bits. From armored
>
> to bronze, everyone seemed to have different ideas of how to control.
> Granted when the canon were going off you needed better control!!! One
> double mouth has barbed wire twisted around the mouth piece!!!!!  Well,
> bless our horses for what we have put them through.  Jean Gayle

Jean, it is very interesting how the bit evolved.....and why.... because some
of the most accomplished horsemen never rode their horses with bits...... in
fact reindeer were ridden before horses according to historical records.....
with nothing more than something that resembled a 'bosal'...... and this
tradition was used by the Nomads of western Asia, long before Marco Polo and
others
found them on the plains, and invading the heart of what is now Europe.....

If you are interested....a marvelous book entitled, They Rode into Europe by
Miklos Jankovich[published in 1971].....will provide the reader a host of new
concepts and break many of the myths associated with the early horse civ
ilizations......and their evolution to become accomplished horsemen, including
riders and breeders.....

Enjoy......

Let's Go and Grow®

Wayne

Wayne G. Hipsley, BSc., MSc.
Hipsley & Associates, LLC.
International Equine Consultants and Educators
Lexington, Kentucky USA
859-621-9896

Educate, Innovate, Inspire

Lexington, KY - Horse Capital of the World and 2010 World Equestrian Games

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.   If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.   Any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any
action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.