This message is from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just my $0.02 here...

I don't think that there is any reason that a saddle should slide
forward onto the withers, even if the horse is mutton withered.  I've
had wide backed Appys with great withers, and now a fjord mare with
essentially no withers.  My experience with my Appys has been that if
the saddle isn't wide enough, then the saddle will creep forward.  I
take that as a sign that the tree isn't wide enough.  Period.  Getting
a tree that is wide enough for my Fjord mare was a challenge, so after a
10 day trial I ordered a new Bob Marshall Sports Saddle (no tree).
During the trial I rode up and down hills, and it stayed put.  For
English saddles, check out the Duett Saddle website
(http://www.duettsaddles.com/horses.htm) .  Most of the Fjords are in
38cm trees!

Now as to saddle slipping from side to side on a barrel shaped horse,
that's another story!  The recommendation for the Bob Marshall (and
presumably other treeless saddles) is to always use an english type
breastplate.  I've also found that 1" foam (the inexpensive kind at
fabric stores) works great, as does the anti slip rubber that goes under
rugs (ditto the rubber shelf liner).

Happy Trails from Eileen in eastern WA, hoping to get my new Bob Marshall
soon!