This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 11:16 AM 7/2/2006, you wrote:
This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mike--

Sunday, July 2, 2006, you wrote:

> Our current database does go back to Njal N-166 and a bit farther.
> Take a look at HAKON JARL N-645

  That's true and really great, but I don't believe the database
  allows tracing every horse currently registered with the NFHR back
  that far.

No it doesn't. I said that in my first message. When they originally went from paper log books to a database system they only put the horses in that were in pedigrees back 5 generations. None of them went back as far as Njal. I added him and a few other well known lines a few years ago. Wish I had the time to go back & add all of the old lines but I just don;\'t.

I know that would be a tremendous undertaking, because it
  would require coordinating all registry's studbooks, but that's the
  reason I propose it should be a project undertaken by the FHI.

The only way I see it ever happening is if all of the world's registries were able to upload their own new horses as they are foaled. Even at that it would take a great deal of coordination of effort to get it to a usable state.

  Without such a combined pedigree database it is impossible to do
  more than guess about the closeness of any given cross.

Yes you are right there.

Mike

 --
Steve McIlree - Pferd, Skipper & Clust - Omaha, NE/Las Cruces, NM, USA
 Paranoia is just knowing all the facts.  --William S. Burroughs

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497