This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 03:46 PM 7/5/2006, you wrote:
This message is from: "Eike Schoen-Petersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Karen,

the question is, how many of these mares produce a foal per average year?
Now in Norway, Denmark and Germany there were between 300 and 400 foals
registered last year (each).  Mike May can tell you how many he registered
last year.

I registered 358 last year.

Netherlands is a special case, I don´t now the numbers there.
Maybe five hundred together in Belgium, Sweden, Finland, France, UK, a
handful in Switzerland, some scattered foals in the Czech republic, Poland,
New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Spain, not much more.  How many active mares
does that make, really participating in a selective breeding programme?
Maybe I underestimate the number of living mares, but so far I cannot see
the foals being born from active mares.  Many registries carry animals just
because nobody declared them deceased.  There is no way of making a true
head count of the breeding population except by the product, the registered
foals.  I´d be happy to stand corrected!

Eike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497