This message is from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I agree that it depends on the horses.  I have my Fjord mare share the
non-pasture turnout with two older Appy geldings during the day.  The
Appys are a pair, they really prefer each other's company over her.  My
mare and the 'herd boss', the 1/2 blind younger one of the two, will
mutually groom. But the two Appys get to graze all night, and she stays
in. This has helped me a lot, as we often ride out alone and I can't
have a horse that is inseparable from a herd.  Also, FWIW, my mare
really likes other mares and doesn't seem to get too hot and bothered
over boys.

Eileen in eastern WA, and Jane