From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 08/08/06 07:42:54
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Gelding age....

This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 8/7/2006 9:44:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The vet  won't geld him at this age. He says he's too young.
Now he would  prefer not to geld until a year, but I don't want to wait that
long.

Hi Ellen,
I've been following your posts.   I had a fjord colt that was  VERY studdy
from day ONE.   No one in the herd was happy about it  either....He was 4
months
old, (a long time for the herd to deal with this)  well dropped, and needed
to be cut - in my eyes.   So I called  my vet.  He wasn't really convinced
this
FJORD was ready....number one he  said they are normally so short it's hard
for him to do - this baby was TALL,  not a problem there....then his next
excuse was he probably didn't have both  testicles down.... YES he did I
assured
him.   He came out and did him  - at 4 months.  He told me this baby was the
same size as the coming 2 yr  old (some other breed) he just did the day
before......    Now  when I call at 4 months he comes right out.   I like to
geld them
  while they are still nursing, I think it's less stressful for them.  I
wean
between 5-6 months depending upon the baby and the dam.  I have gelded 5
colts at 4 months with NO problems and was quite happy to have done it that
early.
Just throwing in my 2 cents :)

Aimee Day
Days End Fjords
Garland ME.

IMSTP.gif]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type Image/jpeg which had a name of
BackGrnd33.jpg]