This message is from: "Big Horn Forge Daniel Nauman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have to join the training
conversation. I like attending as many clinics as I can afford, by as
many different trainers as possible. I have my favorites and also a
"list" of people I wouldn't waste my time on ever again. I have the
great good fortune to have had access to horses most of my life, and
have "ridden" before I could walk. One develops good core strength
this way. I also have been trained in classic riding skills. These
have kept me in good stead through the years. I have obseved that most
of the trainers out there are HORSE Trainers, not riding instructors.
All that said, if you want good riding instruction, go to a Julie
Goodnight Clinic. She teaches classic riding skills using NH methods.
I took a 3 day clinic from her a couple years back and BOY did it ever
help with seat, balance and rythm. She is clear in her instruction and
deals very well with those who may be a little timid or - out right
scared.

She split our group into two sections, and the timid riders got
instruction tailored to their needs. She was a hit. Those people
afraid to canter (or whatever) were confident and challenging
themselves at the end of the clinic. I can't say enough good things
about her.

As far as training horses; John Lyons (and I'm sure many others) says
that you are ALWAYS training your horse. After attending so many
clinics, and observing the everyday person (including myself) working
with horses, I am convinced of that statement. I am very careful what
I "keep" and what I "throw away". In the end, if you have a HAPPY,
responsive, couragous horse, you must be doing something right.

I'm happy to see this line of conversation. So many people I know
don't believe NH works, even though they see (and comment) that it
does when they see how respectful my horses are. Love the list even
though I lurk most of the time.

Toni in WIsconsin