This message is from: Lauren Sellars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re cantering/ Some fjords find it easier to canter then others. I have never met one that couldn't canter. A conformational fault is having an overly wide chest with legs on the outside so they have to paddle to get around the chest.The bottom quote here from Bridget is a very good one, to have a straight stretch and have another horse out front cantering in control, It usually works wonders . When I start canter work in the areana I give them so much credit for the first half a circle I'll get off give them give em a carrot, a massage, they know they did someting right. Praise praise praise. Don't ask for to much in the begining ask a little more each day. Sometimes going slowly gets you there faster. Good luck and be safe
Lauren

As far as getting your Fjord to canter, a nice long trail works for mine. Riding with other cantering horses helps, and if all else fails, ask for it on the way home :-). Yes, the Fjords can trot faster than other horses can canter. When mine offer this, I say, yes, that's nice, but I need something else.

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA