This message is from: "Linda Patorni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have never recovered from the guilt of mildly electrocuting my four donkeys on a daily basis some years ago. I had installed an electric tank heater and hadn't realized there was a grounding problem until I discovered they weren't drinking - I put my hand in the water and yes, there was a definite tingle.

Now, living in New Mexico "off the grid", (i.e. I am not connected to the national grid) I have to produce my own power, relying on solar panels for electricity. My equine population has now increased to eight, including two Fjords, so water in winter is an issue. So, I am conscious of the wattage needed to heat stock tanks and can't use anything with more than 20 watts. This winter I installed a propane water heater which has been a lifesaver and does't electrocute anyone. And, thanks to all of you and that interesting discussion, I am planning to put fish in my tank - let's hope my super efficient propane heater won't fry them to a crisp.