This message is from: Starfire Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Vanessa,

I might have a suggestion for your mare that you and your trainer might be able to figure/check out. I just want to be clear that she has to be sound with everything else but under saddle (including lunging on a circle). If that is the case, your problem might be with the horse's (and rider's) straightness while your mare is ridden under saddle. Watch her closely while she is being ridden, to make sure that her hind legs are following the front legs, that she is not "popping out" of either shoulder, or that her hindquarters aren't falling in or falling out, that the weight is as equal as possible on all four legs, with the neck of the horse coming out of the middle of the shoulders, not too much flexion to the left or the right. Also, make sure that the rider is absolutely centered on the horse, not leaning off to either side, or collapsing into either ribcage, or collapsing their hip, or leading with one hip or the other, etc. It might take a few rides to determine, but if you can manage all of that, and she is still lame, then neither of these straightness issues are your problem.

I have recently worked with a few horses that appeared to be lame, but only under saddle. The problem with one was a "straightness" issue in the horse's body, with the horse habitually carrying it's hindquarter weight to one side, and more with one leg that the other. Once the horse was ridden asking the "weaker" leg to start carrying it's share of the load, placing that leg further under the body than it had habitually been doing, the horse became sound (and has had no problems since). A couple of other horses were rider-crookedness issues. Once the rider learned to sit straight and relaxed in the saddle, the horse was no longer lame (this is sometimes noted as "rein lameness"). Hope this helps.

Beth

Vanessa N. Weber wrote:

This message is from: "Vanessa N. Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

I have a young 5 year old mare that I need to rehome. She's had some
excellent ground work training but she comes up lame in the right hind when
ridden. We've had her vetted up the ying yang and we can't figure out what's
wrong. My trainer feels that she might be able to do some driving, and that
might even help her loosen up a bit. She's on the pushy side so she's not
for a beginner. I absolutely don't want her bred in case whatever is wrong
is genetic and also because the weight of a foal might injure her further.
If anyone knows of someone who is responsible and can abide with these
conditions, could you let me know?

Many thanks,

Vanessa N Weber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]