This message is from: Starfire Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Steve McIlree wrote:

 I only wish the List wasn't entirely a private enterprise, because
 then I wouldn't have to come up with the entire cost of it out of my
 own pocket. But I have chosen to do so, to give me the ability to
 choose who will remain a subscriber and what subjects will and will
 not be discussed. Over the years, the vast majority of people on the
 list have been able to operate within the rules, therefore I have
 only had to remove a handful of individuals.
There are those of us who remember when this list was started, really not so long ago. Isn't this the time of year when there is an anniversary of the beginning of this list? It's amazing to me how quickly one can take some things for granted. Prior to Steve starting this list, we were relegated to phone calls, to waiting for the Fjord Herald, or meeting face to face at shows and gatherings, to receive any information or news about what was going on in our little world of Fjord enthusiasm.

It was, initially, a novelty for many of us. It was (and still is) a joy to be able to visit with like minded folks who shared our enthusiasm for this breed and the subjects revolving around it. It seems, however, that some now take this communication venue for granted. In essence, taking this "privilege" as their own. This may be human nature, to take things for granted. Many folks have gotten used to, and can't live without, instant messaging, e-mail communication, etc., etc. I, for one, have often thought that Steve is "super-human," in some ways, for taking this on and for continuing to maintain it. He has been far more tolerant about some issues (that many of us will never know about) than I might have been. I commend him for that.

Yes, it is STEVE's list. It is by his good grace that issues regarding the NFHR can be discussed here. AND market our horses here. One of the rules could easily be that we cannot advertise horses or services for sale, yet we are allowed to do so, within the most reasonable parameters. MOST people abide by these rules. Some, unfortunately, don't. Despite what some people might believe, Steve is not a despot. He is truly interested in the conversation that goes on within this venue. All he asks is that we follow a few, simple, rules and that we remain civil towards each other.

Thanks to you, Steve, who saw a dream and an opportunity for good conversation. Because of you, we have the ability to communicate around the world, without much expense either financially or in time spent, and to keep abreast of what is going on within our community.

Beth

--
Starfire Farm
Beth Beymer and Sandy North