This message is from: "Karl & Jerrie Froelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah; it sounds like additional flash equipment is required. I'll see what we can dig up in terms of more equipment.

K.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve McIlree" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Karl & Jerrie Froelich" <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: tips on taking pictures inside an arena?

This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Karl--

Wednesday, May 9, 2007, you wrote:

Taking pictures inside an arena is a real hassle. You are usually
too far away for the flash to be any good, and that results in a
really dark picture - does anyone have any ideas or tips for doing
this well?

 The built-in flashes on cameras are a joke once your subject is much
 more than ten feet away; not much good in a arena. Boosting the ISO
 is one solution, but it comes with the drawback of additional noise
 (grain) with both digital and film. When I reviewed the pictures I
 shot at Winona, I was pleased with the exposure but disappointed
 with the blurring from the relatively low shutter speed even with a
 higher ISO. So I searched ebay until I found a good price on a
 Sunpak 544, a separate hammer-head flash unit that will pump
 sufficient light out up to 100 feet and more. Although I haven't yet
 had a chance to try it in a situation like a large indoor arena, I
 know that I used a similar flash to shoot basketball games, when I
 was in the Army, with great success.

--
Steve McIlree - Pferd, Skipper & Clust - Omaha, NE/Las Cruces, NM, USA
It's never the horse, it's always the rider.  --Old Cavalry Adage