This message is from: Sarah Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kate,
  I don't drive (except for ground driving) but I can recall about 4 cases
where I got shook up pretty badly and I had to re-build my confidence.  I've
been riding about 45 years and have only broken 1 finger, cracked 1 rib and
separated 1 shoulder in all that time, so I guess I count myself lucky.  Here's
how it usually works:
  1. The old saw about getting back on the horse right away is correct.  The
worst cases of having to re-build confidence have been when an injury occurred
and it would just have been crazy to get back on.  I guess some folk would
climb back on with a cracked rib and seeing double, but not me.
  2.  analyze analyze analyze.  Usually when a wreck occurs, there's a reason.
What did you do wrong.  Forget about what the horse did wrong - it was probably
my fault that he did it.  What was the "root cause" (over facing the horse,
taking him to an environment he wasn't ready for, rider over-tired with head
not on the job, too much in a hurry to lunge the horse, etc. etc.)  Once you
figure out what went wrong, don't do it again. See what you can change to
prevent it.  This step not only will keep you safer, it will also make you feel
safer.  In one case I put a bucking strap on my saddle.  Sometimes the change
is a big one - a new horse  or a new trainer.  (The cracked rib incident made
me face up to a training situation that I hadn't really been happy with, but
hadn't quite got around to changing.)
  3.  Baby steps back.  If you crashed over a 4'6" oxer, maybe all you face up
to is trot poles for the next month.  If the horse ran away with you at the
trot, maybe all you can do is walk around a round pen for a while.  Keep
pushing the envelope just a little.  One step at a time you will find your path.
  4.  Remember why you do this horse thing.  If you love these beasties, it
will all be worth it.  spend some extra time with your horse friend just
hanging out.  You will feel better in tune with them.

kate charboneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  This message is from: "kate charboneau"

A recent post about a driving wreck has me thinking about confidence.  Is
anyone out there willing to share about a big loss of confidence with
horses, and their path back to comfortable horse using?  It's the path
back that I'm most hoping to hear about... when one has lost confidence
it's easy to see the event/s that contributed; but the path back is not
so clear.  Anyone out there found a path back?