This message is from: "Lois Anne Starr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*Thank you Lisa!*
**
*...for the very informative (layman) article on Coggins.  Although we don't
show (but hope to a teensy bit in the future), I would certainly be willing
to have a current test done on our guys, even if it was in-state.
Fortunately, our place is so dry, we hardly have flies, much less horseflies
(haven't seen ANY for more than 10 years!), so I know we are pretty safe at
this time (knock wood). If we showed and traveled as much as many on the
list seem to do, I'd certainly do what I could to assure my and my fellow
horseman's peace of mind.  Not exactly health insurance, but I bet the
monthly breakdown of cost for a Coggins is a heck of alot cheaper than some
of the horse insurance premiums. Like Jerry said, if you want to play, you
have to pay.*

I am trying to figure out how ( besides a small cost compared to the
consequences ) not having a coggins test or showing in venues that
require them is a BAD thing. I think that the NFHR rule helping
protect our Fjords is a good thing.

Here is an easy to read article about why the coggins test is required
in most states.
Lisa

EQUINE INFECTIOUS ANEMIA AND THE COGGINS TEST

by Robert N. Oglesby, DVM

--
Lois Anne, Wayne, Gallant Geier and the Lovely Lana from Montana

Tell me, and I'll probably forget.
Show me, and I will remember,
Involve me, and I will understand.