This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Note: this is going to be a long post, if you don't want to see what I
have to say just move on down to the next post and continue to have a
nice day.

I read the digest yesterday and was somewhat sickened in my stomach at
some of the comments concerning the NW Fjord show versus the Libby
show. Let me preface the rest of my comments by saying that I am
speaking only for myself. The following are my thoughts, my ideas, my
feelings, and my goals for the PNFPG and the fjord horse.

For all of you long time people in the Fjord horse world, yes I'm a
newby to your world, but at one point so were each of you. You each
had dreams & ideas & plans to make your ideas and dreams concerning
the Fjord horse come to fruition; So do I. This idea that some of you
have that the NW Fjord show is out to destroy the Libby show is the
farthest thing from my mind. I want more shows, not less. In fact it
is one of my goals that the PNFPG sponsors the first all Fjord CDE in
the not too distant future, but we'll see what happens with that as
time passes.

Now I need to back up here a little to set the record straight for
some of you who seem to have selective memories or just haven't done
your homework. A little over a year ago, Warren Riddle phoned Woody
Hoops and said he was going to make a motion at the fall meeting to
move the Libby show to Moses Lake. Yes, you read correctly, the
original idea of the motion was to MOVE the Libby show to Moses Lake.

As most of you know this created a lot of commotion in the PNFPG and a
lot of animosity was directed at the Riddles for even proposing such a
thing and all kinds of hurtful things were said and done...so be it.
What most of you do not know is that this idea did not originate with
the Riddles. I've done my homework and there were a number of people
behind that idea before Riddles got involved. Warren just happened to
be the one who stood up and said he'd make the phone call to Woody.

At any rate: the group who was behind having a show in Moses Lake then
decided to change their motion: That the PNFPG sponsor a second show
in Moses Lake. Still lots of turmoil and nastiness among the members,
very disappointing to me at the time. In fact it bothered me so much I
seriously considered not even joining or getting involved with the
PNFPG and this small minded and somewhat mean spirited attitude that
seemed to prevail amongst it's membership. However, my wife wanted to
show her Fjord so I decided I'd stick it out till the fall meeting and
see how things went.

Now, prior to the fall meeting I again did my homework as it seemed
the dates for the NW Fjord show were going to be the big topic at the
meeting. I canvassed several long time Fjord owners, mostly breeders,
and found that without exception none of them would consider coming to
a show in spring, (i.e. June) because of breeding season, foaling and
lack of time to prepare horses for that early of a show. So having a
show in June in my mind was out of the question if indeed you wanted
to have the best of the best at your show.

Having the show after school started was also something that was not
beneficial to the membership as I found out in my questioning of the
members at large. So, that left July or August. July is hot in Moses
Lake. Temps in and or around 100 degrees and never cooler than 80 at
night The first half of August is the same, but somewhere around the
middle to late August the back of the hot season breaks and it might
still be in the upper 80' & low 90's daytime, but begins to cool off
at night, which is exactly what happened this year. Someone posted
yesterday that the weather we had for the NW Fjord show this year was
non-typical...I disagree. I spoke with all the workers at the fair
grounds and several folks in town about the weather and they all told
me this weather was indeed typical for this time of year.

One other point of history that I want to share with you, just so
we're all on the same page and maybe you'll better understand where
I'm coming from: My wife and I made our first trip to Libby last year
bringing our mare Penfrydd's Libby to the evaluation. I'd never done
anything like that and really had no clue what was expected of my
horse or myself. By the time it was our turn I was so nervous I
thought I was going to throw up or pass out or both. The evaluators
were great and got me calmed down and we did pretty well and Libby
qualified for a blue ribbon in conformation.

I was then done with everything I came to do, but Connie and I were
staying for the whole show, just to see what the show world was all
about. I went to 3 different people who were involved in the show, not
once, not twice, but 3 times and offered both my wife and myself for
help at the show if they needed it. The last person I went to
literally (in my opinion) looked at me like I was an alien, mumbled
something like "we'll come get ya if we need ya" and turned his back
on me and walked away without another word...ok, no big deal...you
don't need my help, that's cool. But then, a month or so later these
same people were complaining about how they couldn't get anybody to
help at the show, this just blew my mind. Now please don't read into
this that I'm bitter about what happened, cause that just aint the
case, I'm just saying this is what happened to us, that's all.

After the fall meeting of the PNFPG and it was decided we'd have 2
shows, I was somehow chosen to be show chairperson for the NW Fjord
show. I only know how to do things one way, and that's full throttle.
I'm not afraid to ask questions & I'm not afraid to ask for help. I
was able to surround myself with people who knew what they were doing
and with vision toward certain goals we were able to put together a
show and show program that was very participant friendly. Our first
goal was safety and our second was fun and we accomplished both and
then some.

Now, contrary to some beliefs, none of this was done with the idea of
destroying the Libby show. The idea that the NW Fjord show is too
close to the Libby show is in my opinion garbage. Back when I was
involved in the draft horse world (no I was never a driver, I just
threw lots of harness for friends of mine) some of these guys would
spend 2 weeks at the Puyallup fair, then 2 weeks later be at Monroe
and 2 weeks later be in Sand Point and yes there were times I was at
all three. All these shows were two weeks apart and the ones who
wanted to be there were always there.

At the fall meeting when we decided to have 2 shows I fully planned to
be at both shows and told Shirley that at the meeting. In June I went
back to driving truck starting a new job. As most of you know, when
you start new first of all you're at the bottom of the seniority list
and second you have no vacation time coming. I had to take off 6 days
on my dime to attend the evaluation and the NW Fjord show which cost
me about $700 income...now I'm not asking anyone to shed any tears for
me as I understood this when I made the job change. However, it made
it financially impossible for me to attend Libby this year and I
emailed Shirley right after I made the switch and told her I'd not be
able to come.

Now I have some questions for some of you who seem to be having a
problem with the NW Fjord show. I've already stated how I feel about
having the show in June or July with reasons why...but if we were to
change the date to sometime in June would you be at our show? Ruth &
Gene, would you be there? Jeff & Lisa, Cathern & Rune, Amy would all
of you be there if we changed the dates to June? Peg Knutsen, you
stated in your post yesterday that our show needed to be in June; you
had Erlend at the evals and he did a great job but you did not
participate in the show...if we had it in June would you and or Erlend
compete? Or is all this mumble jumble about the NW show being too
close to the Libby show just a bunch of smoke?

I might be stepping over the line here mentioning each of you by name,
but you are all people I respect in the Fjord horse and driving world
and people I know I can learn from...so please don't take this as
disrespectful, it's not. You are asking me to move my show from a
proven successful date to a date that I don't think will be
successful. I think it's only fair to know if you'll support us or not
if we make the change.

Next year I'll have a weeks vacation and I hope I can work it out to
be at both shows, if not, the next year I'll two weeks vacation and
should definitely be able to be at both shows...that is if I'm welcome
to the Libby show. I've already heard through the grape vine that
according to at least one small minded individual that I'm not welcome
at Libby...I was really hoping to make it to Libby this year to see if
this individual had the guts to tell me that to my face. Then again,
maybe it's just another vicious rumor...who knows.

As I hope you can see, I have done my homework on what I beleive would
work best for the show and the PNFPG....ask my committee about how
conscience I have been about money in everything we did, trying to
save every dollar I could for the club. We used volunteer announcers,
Karl Froelich, Taffy Mercer & myself, with Aaron Jensen volunteering
to announce our grand opening ceremonies. We used volunteer ring
stewards, Donna Burgess, Connie VanHoof, Greta Cook and myself. We
used volunteer whippers in, Rory Miller, Mark Irvin and myself. We had
many many different volunteers on the in and out gates and they all
did terrific jobs.

My crew and I worked our butts off to make the NW Fjord show the best
it could be and now we have some who are accusing us of doing this for
ulterior motives, i.e. money...what a bunch of crap. The only ones on
my crew who are breeders are the Riddles and they worked their butts
off right beside the rest of us.

To even suggest that we've done this for our own financial gain is
plain ludicrous. If there is to be healing within the PNFPG we need to
stop pointing fingers at each other and looking at what we preceve as
problems and why something won't work and start looking at solutions
and a way to make them work.

I don't know how many new members we brought into the PNFPG with the
NW Fjord show, but I do know that about a third to half of the folks
who were at the show were first timers to a fjord show. If our mandate
truly is to promote the Fjord horse, then the NW Fjord horse show
accomplished this mandate.

It has taken me several hours to write this, trying to keep my
emotions in check and just present the facts. I've tried not to step
on too many toes but I know there are a few on this list that think
they have a right to say and do anything they want with immunity but
do not want to allow some of the rest of us the same rights...so be
it.

If you don't know by now, I'll fight for what I believe is best for
the continued success of the NW Fjord show and that is by keeping the
dates exactly as they are. I'll be glad to take any comments or
suggestions privately, just remember I'm on the rode a lot, so if I
don't get back to you right away, it's most likely cause I'm not home.

I wish each of you that are going to Libby the best of success and
safe trips to and from...wish we could be there, but just not able to
this year.

--David VanHoof
Funshine Farm Fjords
9222 214th Ave E