This message is from: Karen Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Bernadine.

Working on a dirt surface can be helpful depending on the moisture content in
the dirt, so that advice would be good for some situations.  When I lived in
Colorado I had a barn with a dirt floor, but the climate is very dry there,
and the static was a problem even just brushing the Fjordies.  I used a
shop-vac on both my Fjordies and my donkey, and I learned to do a few strokes
of vacuum, then step away and discharge the static on the steel siding of the
barn.  When brushing or vacuuming a horse, I find I place one hand on the
shoulder and brush with the other hand.  I can feel the crackling static under
the palm of my non-working hand.  The horses don't seem concerned with it, but
it is a reminder for me to be careful about discharging before I build up too
much static.

The comment about you being "wired" I think is valid.  I find I'm also
"electric".  Some people just are.  In Colorado, I found that I got shocked
year round with static discharge just getting out of a car and touching the
door to close it.   Same thing is happening here in England for the winter.  I
like to think we "electric" types are special.  :^)

As an aside, here's a static-Fjord-God-Bless-the-temperament story.  A few
years ago I was lucky enough to be part of the Starfire Quadrille, driving
Sara, their lovely ulsdun mare.  We met for a practice on a wickedly cold and
windy day.   Sara had just come off the trailer wearing her winter rug.  She'd
been clipped since the last time I'd seen her, so no thick coat to protect her
from electric me.  I removed her rug and placed a hand on her rump and ---
POP!  ---- we both got thoroughly zapped!  She levitated straight up in the
air.  I felt really bad for zapping her, but oh, so thankful for that
temperament.  If ever a horse had a reason to kick, that was it.  But she
never offered to kick the fool who'd just taken a cattle prod to her butt!
After apologizing profusely to her, I paid extra careful attention to
discharging regularly by touching the side of the horse trailer.  Brush,
brush, brush, discharge.  (Repeat as necessary)

Hope something in here is helpful.

Cheers!
Karen, Am in Eng> > One of the suggestions from the CDL List on Vacuming-put
your horse on dirt. > I tried this and it made no difference-my helper says I
am the one that's > 'wired'! > > Bernadine Karns> Nottawa Crossing Fjords>