This message is from: Linda McThoy Patorni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a Fjord who suffers from fly bite allergies. Every summer she gets welts and speckles over her face and neck, and on the tops of her legs. She wears a fly mask and I use Endure which I find to be the best protection. My barn and corrals are immaculate - I put up those hideous smelly fly bags and use the timed sprayers. The place is becoming a chemical factory which I am not happy about. And, I don't actually get that many flies at 7000ft in New Mexico. However, it happens each summer, is definitely fly-related and I cannot seem to get a handle on it. I spoke to my vet who talked about allergy shots, but I'm hesitant to do that. He said he had heard of other Fjords and ponies having similar problems. I am considering trying Solitude, an ingestible fly control which is put in their feed and prevents further fly breeding if used properly. Yet another chemical. I was about to try fly predators, but I have had mixed reviews from friends about their effectiveness, and it's expensive. I have seven equines, so it all adds up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or successful solutions? Has anyone tried Solitude? So far we're free and clear of flies, but I know it will begin soon. Thanks!