This message is from: kate charboneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Linda,
I'm very glad your mare's okay.

A neighbor's horse was attacked a couple springs ago by an adult male black
bear.  Those marks were primarily rump & back.  So I think that rules out
black bears, as your perpetrator.

In northern MN we have many large owls, and eagles and I have seen them hunt.
I'd rule them out as your perpetrator.I'd do as someone else said & check for
old fencing left by previous farmers.  Sometimes in the spring it will come up
out of the ground as the frost moves things around.

I'd also seriously consider cougar/mountail lion.  We have them here in our
area, there have been some problems (few & far between) and the marks are very
much as you describe.  The most problem we had was when a guy released some
young adults that had been his "pets".  They were not nearly as leery as the
fully wild cougars so there were many sightings, and their hunting skills were
poor.  That made for a bad year for livestock in a suprisingly large area.
Victims I heard about were sheep, goats, yearling cows, and ponies.