and now I still don't think they have any preventive.  Good Luck  ,  Susan >
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:24:24 -0400> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: fjordhorse-digest V2008 #112> >
> fjordhorse-digest Wednesday, May 28 2008 Volume 2008 : Number 112> > > > In
this issue:> > Pjoska's big days> Lyme Disease?> Re: Branding Horses> re: Lyme
Disease> swallows> Brands > Re: Branding Horses> branding horses> BRANDING>
Re: branding horses> More on branding> Re: Branding Horses> Re: More on
branding> Branding> Re: More on branding> Njal> RE: BRANDING> > See the end of
the digest for information on how to retrieve back issues.> >
----------------------------------------------------------------------> >
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:45:26 -0400> From: Genie Dethloff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Pjoska's big days> > This message is from:
Genie Dethloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Pjoska went to her first dressage horse
show last Sunday. As far as > I understand, this was her first horse show ever
and she was great. > Her trainer Marty rode her. I haven't shown since I was a
kid and I > didn't want my nerves to get her rattled - I wanted her first show
to > be a great experience. She placed first in Training Level Test 1 and >
second in Training Level Test 2, both with a score of 64. I posted > the first
test to YouTube - here is the link:> >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs7MiHwQzaU> > Please turn down the volume as
the background chatter was only erased > from the first half. When I reposted
with the rest of the sound > deleted, I couldn't get a high quality video
posted so I left the > first one on.> > We are working on more hind end
engagement. The vet says that the > farrier has allowed her front hooves to
get too long in the toe (too > shallow of an angle), an angle that doesn't
match her pastern angle > and this is causing her problems using her hind end
correctly and > stepping through enough. We now have a long haul to get her
hoof > angles correct. Looks like we will be shoeing the hind feet also > next
time.> > Wednesday we went on our first trail ride in the state forest.. I >
have only taken Pjoska out twice on short trail rides or to the > fields down
the road, and her trainer has taken her to the fields two > other times, so
this was a big adventure. We have to walk 3/4 mile on > paved roads to get
there but it is worth it. We crossed a bridge > over running water coming out
of a lake, rode on a dirt road flanked > by a marsh and lake, trotted up and
down hills and cantered up hill. > As my instructor's horse is about 16.3
hands, poor Pjo had to really > move out at the trot to not be totally left
behind, as she really > hated it when the other two horses disappeared around
the bend!! I > sure prefer riding her slower smoother trot that she prefers at
home. > My knees were sore from riding so much half seat as we trotted up >
hills. We were both very tired when we got home even though we were > only
gone for one and a half hours. I can't wait to go again!!> - -- > Genie
Dethloff and Pjoska> Killingworth, Connecticut> > The FjordHorse List archives
can be found at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------>
> Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:45:42 -0400> From: Genie Dethloff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Lyme Disease?> > This message is from: Genie
Dethloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> I would appreciate it if anyone who has had a
horse test positive for > Lyme disease would let me know how their horse's
behavior changed > when they had the disease. I am trying to decide whether to
treat > Pjoska. She had a positive titer but below the levels that they >
usually treat. We have some issues that I am trying to sort out if > they are
training issues or caused by Lyme's disease. Thanks> > > - -- > Genie Dethloff
and Pjoska> Killingworth, Connecticut> > The FjordHorse List archives can be
found at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------> > Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 14:02:42 EDT> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Branding
Horses> > This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> My personal opinion has
always been that horses are much too beautiful to mar > with a branding iron.
I have actually decided NOT to buy a couple of horses > over the years just
because they were branded (QHs/Paints). Horses have MUCH > thinner hide than
do cattle, and so hot branding them is dangerous - in my > opinion - and
though freeze branding is not as bad initially, they both leave such > an ugly
white mark behind. If you have a lovely horse why mess it up with a >
permanent scar, intentially?> > Respectfully....> > Amy> > > > Amy Evers> Dun
Lookin' Fjords> Oregon> > > > > **************Get trade secrets for amazing
burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. >
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > The
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:49:18 -0500> From:
"Philis Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: re: Lyme Disease> > This
message is from: "Philis Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Genie,> > I had a
seven month old foal die last January from Lymes disease. It was> very
insidious in the "attack". Karl seemed "fine" most of the time, except> he
would spike a fever about every six weeks....NEVER did he show signs of>
lameness. We (the vets that I consulted with) thought it was pneumonia>
because of the symptoms. Never drew blood till the day he died! Karl was> sick
off and on from August to January with fevers. He always recovered> with
antibiotics, but then in January he essentially quit eating and> drinking. He
became weak and was falling down and needed help to get up at> the end. We
label our Fjords as being "stoic". He was, indeed, as stoic as> they come.
Never complaining, but I knew he didn't feel well. The blood> work showed that
his liver and kidneys were shot and he was very toxic. His> heart was involved
because he had a very fast heart rate...up to 120 beats a> minute. That was
one reason we thought it was pneumonia. But there again,> NEVER any coughing
or snotty nose.> > The fact that Karl would get better each time around was so
deceiving. I > kept thinking we> were out of the woods. In August I had him up
to my trailer and was ready to > put> him in and haul him to the U, but that
day he was getting better. The> stress of the haul for seven hours made me
decide to not to go (thinking it> was pneumonia). The moral of my story is get
that blood work done so you> have a base line to go by. Lymes is no joke and a
very frustrating disease> to deal with because horses, dogs and people can
have it and you don't> always know it unless you test for it and by then the
symptoms may have done> damage to the body.> > My sister raises Norwegian
Elkhounds. She lost an older dog to Lymes last> year with no symptoms until it
was too late. This spring she had all of her> dogs tested and her bitch that
she imported from Norway has an active case> of Lymes and the dog has no
symptoms!> > Good luck and check the horse out!> > Philis Anderson> Sawtooth
Mountain Fjords> Grand Marais, MN> > The FjordHorse List archives can be found
at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed,
28 May 2008 02:50:21 -0500> From: Bonnie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject:
swallows> > This message is from: Bonnie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Thanks for
the info Lori - very interesting.> > bonnie> > The FjordHorse List archives
can be found at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------>
> Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:58:04 EDT> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject:
Brands > > This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Here are a few
Pictures of some of the brands on a few of my own horses. > One is a ranch
brand that I do not like so much as it does not have much > meaning other than
the ranch he came from. The other 2 which are a bit harder to > see are
Hanoverian and Trekkaner both the brands are nice looking and have > the
symbol for the breed the Trekkaner's brand you can hardly see unless you >
really look at an angle, but it is there . I have seen some pretty ungly >
cowboy style branding and that is not what I am interested in. A Fjord brand >
could be made to look really nice and discrete. Pics can only been seen on >
fjordissues list. If you would like to see them e-mail me privately and I will
> forward them to you.> Bonnie Morris> > > > > > > **************Get trade
secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL
Food. >
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > The
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:56:23 -0700> From:
"Lola Lahr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: Branding Horses> > This message
is from: "Lola Lahr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Do they brand them in Norway?> > On
5/27/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> >> > This message is
from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> > My personal opinion has always been that horses
are much too beautiful to> > mar> > with a branding iron. I have actually
decided NOT to buy a couple of horses> > over the years just because they were
branded (QHs/Paints). Horses have> > MUCH> > thinner hide than do cattle, and
so hot branding them is dangerous - in my> > opinion - and though freeze
branding is not as bad initially, they both> > leave such> > an ugly white
mark behind. If you have a lovely horse why mess it up with a> > permanent
scar, intentially?> >> > Respectfully....> >> > Amy> >> >> >> > Amy Evers> >
Dun Lookin' Fjords> > Oregon> >> >> >> >> > **************Get trade secrets
for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with> > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.> >
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> >> >
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 16:56:18 EDT> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: branding horses> > This message is from:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> I googled horse brands and found this site >
_http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm_
(http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm) but no Fjord > horse brands. It
would be interesting to see what the different countries look > like. Anyone
have any more info on them?> > > Bonnie Morris> > > > **************Get trade
secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL
Food. >
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > The
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:34:26 -0700> From:
"jerrell friz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: BRANDING> > This message is
from: "jerrell friz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> I personally think branding is a
good idea.> > It might deter stealing a horse.> It would make it a lot easer
for the county animal folks to find the owner.> [stray horse]> It might save a
horse from going to slaughter.> Could help crossing borders, by being able to
ID your horse.> There are many other good reasons.> > Micro-chipping is a
waste of money, and time. No one,,,,, carries a box of> all the scanners
around to read all the non-standard chips.> > I prefer the freeze brand type.
Several years ago I tried to find someone> that could do the branding on my
horses. I looked for a long time, and could> not find anyone. I have spoke to
the people that have a lot of information on> it. Their suggestion was for me
to buy the equipment, do my own, then go into> business branding other folks
horses. I don't have enough time right now to> get everything done each day.>
> If anyone knows of a freeze brander in the Real North Ca. area, please let
me> know.> > In Europe, a temporary brand is sometimes burned/carved into a
hoof.> > Regards,> Jerry Friz,> Anderson,Ca.> > > For your security this
Message has been checked for Viruses as a courtesy of> Com-Pair Services!> >
The FjordHorse List archives can be found at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> >
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:11:24 -0700 (PDT)>
From: Robin Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: branding horses> > This
message is from: Robin Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> One thing to consider is
that the brands do not always> look nice even freeze brands. My Hanovarian has
a> very nice-looking freeze brand but his half-brother> was not so lucky, his
just looks like a big scar. > They are both grey horses so I don't know if it
was> technique or what but there is nothing attractive> about a big scar on
the horse's hip. Also some people> object to them because of the discomfort
that it can> cause.> > Robin> - --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> > > This
message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > I googled horse brands and
found this site > > _http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm_> >
(http://www.horsedata.co.uk/horse_brands.htm) but> > no Fjord > > horse
brands. It would be interesting to see what> > the different countries look >
> like. Anyone have any more info on them?> > > > > > Bonnie Morris> > > > > >
> > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers.> > Watch "Cooking
with > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. > >>
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > > >
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:41:39 EDT> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: More on branding> > This message is from:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In my search of brands I stumbled upon this site and
think it is a rather > informative and valuable site for all horsemen. It
talks about much more than > just brands.
_http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/statutes.htm_ >
(http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/statutes.htm) . Maybe Mike May will join in
the > conversation or some folk from the Fjord horse registry and see if this
is something > that can be made available for those that would like it done
from a registry. > I am sure that there must be people that are educated in
the branding process > and would be willing to teach it. We could have our own
special Fjord > branders:0) There seems to be much more positive's to having
it than not. None > of the horses that I have that are branded have any pain
or discomfort > associated with the area. > > > Bonnie Morris> > > >
**************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with >
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. >
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > The
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:17:47 -0400> From:
Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: Branding Horses> > This
message is from: Lori Albrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Lola Lahr wrote:> >
This message is from: "Lola Lahr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > > > Do they brand
them in Norway?> > I haven't seen any brands on horses in Norway, and I found
this > reference on the net: "The Norwegian Animal Welfare Act lists the >
following acts as forbidden: kicking animals, hitting them with sticks > or
ropes or knotted thongs, or hitting them with anything else than may > cause
pain, whipping a horse, force feeding animals, fire branding > animals with
the exception of marking hooves, claws, shells or horns."> > And I think the
last year Fjords were fire-branded in the Netherlands > was the "R" year,
1996. The Dutch brands were the registration number on > the left thigh, which
was encoded by the position of dots inside two > stacked grids of crossed
lines; and then for mature horses who had > achieved a high enough premium,
they got the first letter of their name > (actually the letter representing
the year of their birth) in an upside > down triangle on the right thigh.> > I
understand that fire-branding has been outlawed by the EU and all > member
countries now use microchips instead.> > Lori> > - -- > Lori Albrough>
Bluebird Lane Fjords> R.R.#3 Moorefield Ont Canada N0G 2K0> phone:
519-638-5598> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.bluebirdlane.com> > The
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:59:29 -0700 (PDT)>
From: Robin Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: More on branding> >
This message is from: Robin Churchill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> They have discomfort
in the area when it is done--not> after it is healed.> > Robin> - ---
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> > > This message is from:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > In my search of brands I stumbled upon this site
and> > think it is a rather > > informative and valuable site for all
horsemen. It> > talks about much more than > > just brands. > >
_http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/statutes.htm_ > >
(http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/statutes.htm) . > > Maybe Mike May will join
in the > > conversation or some folk from the Fjord horse > > registry and see
if this is something > > that can be made available for those that would> >
like it done from a registry. > > I am sure that there must be people that
are> > educated in the branding process > > and would be willing to teach it.
We could have> > our own special Fjord > > branders:0) There seems to be much
more positive's> > to having it than not. None > > of the horses that I have
that are branded have> > any pain or discomfort > > associated with the area.
amazing burgers.> > Watch "Cooking with > > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. > >>
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)> > > >
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:23:47 -0700> From:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Branding> > This message is from:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Ok - Here is my view.> > I have had and worked with many
horses in my life time and some were> branded. One decided that the branding
was too much for him and he never> trusted human again. I do think it might
help in preventing a horse in being> stolen... but I seriously doubt it. A
brand does mean that the slaughter /> auction house must research the brand
and/or have a brand certification on> that horse. That can be made for $25.00
per horse in my neck of the woods...> no one really researches or cares... it
is just paperwork.> > If you want to brand to show ownership... why not tattoo
the lip? Easier on> the horse and you do not have to look at a scar on the
horses flesh. > > If you want to brand the horse because it is a "rated or
judged" horse...> like in Europe... WHY? If you own a horse that has proven
itself, you have> the paperwork to prove it... Of course... IF it were branded
and you went> into a horse show... then the judge would know some other judges
thought> this horse was good... and that judge may be influenced by the
brand?... or> maybe influenced by the breeders brand? ... or by the trainer's
brand?... or> maybe not influenced? Or is it just to show off? (I am in no way
putting> down the long standing traditions in Europe. It is just not for me.
I'll be> the first to say... what the mother country does we should adopt...>
However... I would speak against a fjord brand, if asked.)> > I would rather
buy a microchip scanner that reads my horses chip and bring> it with me to
shows and to state lines... than to scar my horses... A $100> scanner seems
reasonable to me. :-)> > Off to feed the Fjord in my life... Life is GOOD with
Fjords!> > Catherine Lassesen> Hestehaven - "The Horse Garden" > & Hundehaven
- "The Dog Heaven"> www.hestehaven.com / [EMAIL PROTECTED]> 1-541-825-3027>
Southern Oregon>  > > The FjordHorse List archives can be found at:>
http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 27
May 2008 21:49:43 -0500> From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject:
Re: More on branding> > This message is from: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > ...None of the horses that I have that are branded have
any pain or> > discomfort associated with the area....> > Perhaps not after
the brand is healed. I have a Belgian mare with a > brand created long before
I ever got her. She does not act as if the > brand bothers her, but I dislike
the scarring on her leg. Annie is such > a gentle, sensitive soul -- I have
wondered what effect the branding had > on her personality.> > I do think
anyone should volunteer to be branded themselves before > deciding the
branding itself and the subsequent healing process are not > painful.> >
Furthermore, a brand can function as an identification system and theft>
deterrent ONLY as long as there is a widespread system in place to> record
brand ownership and control the movement of branded livestock.> > Most of the
eastern US states do not have brand registries or brand> inspection systems.
Annie's brand is totally meaningless here in Iowa > and would not be any
deterrent to a thief.> > Even in the western US, you have to go to each
state's brand registry to > try to identify a brand. In Annie's case, my
extensive search was wasted > effort -- I never found the brand's owner.> >
Even if I did, the brand still would not identify Annie as a microchip > does
-- the brand identifies the owner of the animals who carry the > brand, not a
specific animal.> > DeeAnna> > The FjordHorse List archives can be found at:>
http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 28
May 2008 01:11:55 -0600> From: "Lois Anne Starr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
Subject: Njal> > This message is from: "Lois Anne Starr"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Hi List:> > I Googled Njal and found this link on his
pedigree. There is even a photo> of him and his grandsire available.> >
www.allbreedpedigree.com/njal> > Been raining for a week now with several more
days of it to come but it has> been in the 30's-50's. Lots of grass for a
change around here so the horses> are enjoying a bit of turnout for short
periods though I'm sure they are> tired of the rain as they are usually in
their shed when it is> pouring....however, the snap of carrots bring them
running too. :D> > - -- > Lois Anne, Wayne, Gallant Geier and the Lovely Lana
from Montana> > Tell me, and I'll probably forget.> Show me, and I will
remember,> Involve me, and I will understand.> > The FjordHorse List archives
can be found at:> http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> > ------------------------------>
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:00:29 +0000> From: greta cook
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: RE: BRANDING> > This message is from: greta
cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> I have freeze marked two of my fjords for many
reason. As part of my farm> disaster preparedness plan I have my animals
identified in several forms -> microchip, photo, physical description, freeze
mark. Redundancy is the key> especially in a disaster situation. On a day to
day basis the freeze marks> distinguish similar looking horses for the vet
should I be unavailable. Theft> deterrent is also a benefit. And proving
ownership of my geldings (that are> not DNA typed) should we become separated
say up in the mountains on one of> our rides.> > Bronwyn Mayo is the owner of
Kryo Kinetic LLC who owns the registry database> and does the freeze marking.
She is a wealth of knowledge on animal> identification. Please check out her
website for more information about> freeze marking.
http://www.kryokineticsusa.com/index.htm Freeze marking is> an unalterable
permanent mark using the international alpha angle system to> individually
identify the horse for its life. Think of the mark as being> similar to your
vehicle identification number.> > The cost was $135 for the freeze marking
which includes a very thorough> identification of all hair whorls, scars,
distinguishing marks etc on a> laminated card to be carried with you. I had my
horses sedated to ensure a> complete marking. The chilled iron does not hurt
but is a unusual sensation.> It takes a couple of hair cycles for the brand to
become fully distinguished.> I do not look at the mark as an ugly scare but as
a beauty mark that will help> me get my beloved boys back should we become
separated for whatever reason.> Micro chips are a good form of ID but are
limited in that you have to get very> close to the sweep the scanner over the
horse. Chips have been missed and> animals have been chipped again causing a
court battle over ownership.> Universal scanners are common place but scanners
for the international chips> that are being used by people who take their
horses out of country are not.> > I have hosted two ID clinics for horse and
livestock owners to get their> animals identified in a variety of forms
including freeze marking. Hot> branding is painful and the ranch brands are
just that identifying the ranch> and not the individual animal. If the NFHR
wanted to sponsor a freeze mark> symbol that would only be used on fjords
there is an F available that would be> the first symbol of the freeze mark.> >
Again please check out the website for more info.> > > Greta
CookVice-PresidentWASART WA State Animal Response Team"Helping Livestock> and
Their Owners in Disasters"> > A volunteer run 501(c)(3) organization> >
www.washingtonsart.org> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com> > Subject: BRANDING> >
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:34:26 -0700> >> > This message is from: "jerrell
friz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> >> > I personally think branding is a good idea.>
>> > It might deter stealing a horse.> > It would make it a lot easer for the
county animal folks to find the> owner.> > [stray horse]> > It might save a
horse from going to slaughter.> > Could help crossing borders, by being able
to ID your horse.> > There are many other good reasons.> >> > Micro-chipping
is a waste of money, and time. No one,,,,, carries a box of> > all the
scanners around to read all the non-standard chips.> >> > I prefer the freeze
brand type. Several years ago I tried to find someone> > that could do the
branding on my horses. I looked for a long time, and> could> > not find
anyone. I have spoke to the people that have a lot of information> on> > it.
Their suggestion was for me to buy the equipment, do my own, then go> into> >
business branding other folks horses. I don't have enough time right now> to>
> get everything done each day.> >> > If anyone knows of a freeze brander in
the Real North Ca. area, please let> me> > know.> >> > In Europe, a temporary
brand is sometimes burned/carved into a hoof.> >> > Regards,> > Jerry Friz,> >
Anderson,Ca.> >> >> > For your security this Message has been checked for
Viruses as a courtesy> of> > Com-Pair Services!> >> > The FjordHorse List
archives can be found at:> > http://tinyurl.com/rcepw> >> >> >