This message is from: Emily Wigley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A few days ago someone (Amy?) was asking about the equivalents of pasture grazing vs. a flake of hay. I just found this:

http://www.dayvillesupply.com/doc/hay_calorie.htm

It is a nifty calorie chart from a feed store in the Seattle area. It's so helpful! With hay cost going up and availability going down, I'm feeding some of my harder keepers more beet pulp (soaked) and not trying to get them to stuff in more hay! (It's so interesting to watch a horse get bored of eating good hay and good pasture -- they are always happy to see the beet pulp!) I have been wondering about the value of the beet pulp calorie-wise, as it is a good roughage to feed. It sure has made a difference in my ribby big horses. As much as I love my big mares (hanoverian and swedish), I do wish all my horses were as easy to keep as my Fjords! I thought this calorie chart might be helpful for folks trying to get a better handle on their horses' intakes!

Happy Spring, from overcast and very pleasant Western Washington!
Emily...
...and Buttermilk Biscuit and Nils, the best Fjord school horses in the world!! :-)

Emily Wigley
Fish Bowl Farm
www.fishbowlfarm.com
Vashon Island, Washington