This message is from: Starfire Farm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Norsk Wood Works wrote:

I think most all fjords can canter but some have a much easier time of it due
to conformation issues. A horse that has a good length of neck with good
proportions through the body and good muscling and is quite forward will
probably be more willing to canter more easily. If you have that laid back
horse with shorter legs, heavy front end, shorter neck, it may not be quite as
willing to canter, but then again maybe it will. It depends on their mind set
too.
This is all very true. Over the years I have had the opportunity to start a number of different Fjords with varying conformation and athletic ability. They can all canter, but some prefer to trot (even some of those who's conformation would appear to allow them to canter easily). Some, like Thordal, actually prefer to canter!

For the things that I like to do with a horse, I prefer a horse that can not only canter easily, but that also demonstrates, at liberty, that it can easily flex at the poll, no matter how heavy or short the neck. It is true that a horse with a shorter neck might find it more difficult to flex at the poll, yet I have worked with Fjord horses that have shorter necks with thick(er) throatlatches that easily flex at the poll, as well as Fjord horses with longer necks and thinner throatlatches that don't care to flex at the poll at all.

Each type of horse offers different challenges to the trainer who wants to teach the horse to canter with a rider on its back. No matter what system is used, one of the most crucial things for a horse to have, while the horse is learning to canter under saddle, is a rider that won't inhibit the horse's initial attempts to canter. If a rider lacks the balance and strength to "go with the horse" as it makes it's attempts, the horse becomes unbalanced and can be discouraged from trying to go into the canter. Some will simply keep trotting, some will stop and some will buck. A knowledgeable and experienced rider is preferable, but if the rider can stay balanced with the horse no matter what, then a young rider (or an inexperienced rider) with a knowledgeble person on the ground, can accomplish helping the horse understand what is being asked of it.

I have always chuckled a little when Fjord people, or people who believe that Fjords can't canter, see our quadrille. We have had Fjords and riders of every shape, size and riding ability join in and perform with us. They have all, at one time or another, been able to canter. Some are more balanced than others, but a great example of varying levels of athleticism was in included in our Winona quadrille, yet all cantered! And, we all had a blast!

So, keep on working on your canters, however you do it, and it will come.

Beth

--
Starfire Farm
Beth Beymer and Sandy North