This message is from: "Gail Russell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

Jim and I have been spending the summer in Cedarville CA at our new place on
the edge of this tiny town.  We have been going riding in the desert,
mountains, or dry lake bed several times a week.  One can ride for literally
miles...sometimes on soft footing that is fine for even my most tender
footed horses.  It is really a beautiful place.

While there, we have made several new friends.  One couple we met has
acquired a Hungarian Kuvasz that just showed up on their doorstep.  They
believe he spent his earlier life tied up most of the time in the yard of
one of the farmhands.

Ann and Michael have had him for a bit over a month.  Ann would love to keep
him, but they are concerned that they need to travel this winter, and that
they cannot give him the home he needs.  For the first month, Ann slept *on
the porch* with him so she could teach him not to bark at the deer that came
near the house.  She said he did bark at the coyotes, and would growl when
he heard them in the distance...so he has protective instincts.

He stays around the house, but does disappear for an hour or so now and
again.  Ann is going to get him neutered, which she hopes will stop that.
She is also planning on teaching him more manners so he can go to a GOOD
home (can you tell how devoted she is to him), but she has made a point of
not letting him into the house for fear of spoiling him when his lot in life
may be to be an outside dog.

He is a foundling, so has no papers.  He seems a bit shy of cars, but I
think she was going to teach him to ride in the back of their truck,
figuring that is a "life skill" he will need.

Cedarville is in the FAR Northeast corner of California.  You go east a few
miles, and you are in Nevada.  Go North a bit further, and you are in
Oregon.

Is there anyone who could provide him with a good home.  I have a feeling
that the qualification process from Ann would be a bit rigorous....but it
sounds like he will be in good shape by the time he is ready to go to a new
home.  Ann says he really is already very sweet.

I am told by Lisa Pedersen's sheep owning friends that he did not grow up
with sheep, so will be good protection for the house and family, but not for
a flock of sheep (unless maybe they are hanging near said house and family).

Gail