This message is from: Linda Bain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I hope that these 2 horses involved get better soon, both physically and pyschologically. This brings back some bad memories for me

About 11 years ago my stable was broken into overnight, the windows broken and the doors removed. I came out in the morning to find my 2yo TB colt cowering at the back of the stable shaking. He could have escaped if he wanted to as the doors had been completely destroyed, but he was so afraid he did not go anywhere. He did not have any marks on him, but mentally he was damaged. After that he would not let anyone near him except me, he would fly at anyone who even looked over the stable door around 1 year after the event he began to wind-suck. He was never the same after this happened.

2 months ago in Sweden 2 horses were slashed. 1 of them was found dead in the morning disembowelled, the other had slashes all over him but he has managed to pull through. A friend of mine has her horses 1 mile down the road from where this happened and we were discussing what, if anything, we could do to protect our horses from this happening. We could not come up with any answers as we both could not understand how anyone or group of people could overpower a horse or horses to do this in the first place. How do you restrain a horse to disembowel it? I think it would be very difficult. I have never heard of anyone being caught doing this or even seen doing it to know what they do. Does anyone know if anyone being caught?

Going back to my 2yo, I know how it was done, he was in a confined space with no escape, so was an easy target for these people (if you can call them that!), but I would think it would be difficult if the horses were out in a large field. If anyone has any idea of how they actually do it, it could help us to know how to protect our horses better.

best wishes,

Linda
Sweden