This message is from: "Debby" <miss.am...@earthlink.net>

I know there are different levels to sand.  Here in northeast Texas, alot of
the acreage is what they call sandy loam, and some of it is pretty good, most
people will just till it up and use it for their arenas.  Where we are, there
is a very thin layer of sand, but under it clay and iron ore.  I had someone
bring in what was suppose to be "arena" sand, he swore to me this was sand he
haulded to professional barns in the Dallas area, only to find it had lots of
iron ore in it, including the rock, and any sand it had was a dirt sand.  When
we were stationed in Georgia, we loved nothing more than after a rain, to hit
the trails with our horses and run through the woods, with its wonderful sand
and water puddles and splash, never slipping, it was perfect.  Our guys would
come home with THE cleanest feet.  In San Antonio, black dirt, pulled your
shoes and your horses shoes off when it rained.  When you had sand hauled in
for paddocks, it would have chunks of actual gray clay, was like molding clay.
When we move, I will personally visit a sand company not far from where we are
relocating, as I know they have several different kinds.  Hopefully I can have
a good base, the screenings they have here are terrible, nothing like the
screenings we got in Missouri, and then have a good sand/rubber mixture for my
top base.
Debby in Texas