This message is from: "Mary Sergeant" <mkserge...@gmail.com>

When my mare (Ingrid) was examined by the vet for her sore front feet, I
asked about Cushing's.  I am very familiar with it because there was a 32
year old mare in our barn that had Cushing's, and I had a Peruvian Paso
gelding with DSLD that I had to have euthanized last year.  The DSLD group
has a lot of information about Cushing's and IR.

My vet didn't think Cushing's was a factor because she had no other
symptoms. After the x-rays came back clean, the vet was actually kind of
stumped, but the treatment was the same for laminitis or sore feet...bute
and sneakers.

When I first got my Fjords, my farrier was really impressed with their feet,
both in the shape and strength of the hoof.  The x-rays confirmed that
Ingrid had great soles: thick and even.

My farrier also mentioned Sole Guard and had some with him to show me.  I
think it could be a viable option.  The Soft-Ride boots with the orthotic
inserts were great, but were starting to show wear.  The vet charged $160
per boot (including the orthotic).  On the Soft-Ride website, the charge is
$235 for 2 boots, including the orthotics.  Not cheap to keep your kid in
those expensive sneakers.  Also, it seems like Ingrid's feet would not
harden on their own as long as she was wearing the comfortable sneakers.

Thank you to everyone who posted, including Valarie who started this post.
It is nice to know you aren't the only one experiencing a problem, and all
of the suggestions are great.

Ingrid is fine right now, but a little miffed that healthy feet mean she has
to work again.  I think she thought she was retired.

Mary in Colorado
With funny Nellie and sweet Ingrid