This message is from: Karen McCarthy <weeg...@hotmail.com>

Fred,
I get the feeling that this is an entirely subjective thing w/ each vet.
Pehpas we can get Steve's thoughts on this - Steve?
I don't have time to check out specific state laws or codes, but I know in
Nevada, it was up to the discretion of our vet, whether she felt the
euthanasia was ethically warranted or not. In my case, we had a very healthy
grade mare at our boarding facility that was clearly crazy, a danger to horses
& humans. The owner could not sell her, didn't want to auction her. The vet
concurred that she was best destroyed, and she was put down.
I read recently that in California, UC Davis had a symposium in Feb. to deal
w/ the subject of unwanted horses. Most of the hesitation voiced by the vets
in putting unwanted horses down was that they were concerned about what to do
w/ all of the carcasses that would accumulate, now that slaughter houses are
closed down, most of the rendering plants have ceased operation, and many
landfills limit the # of carcasses they accept.
In Nevada & Calif. it seems that whether a vet euthanizes  an unwanted horse
depends on the vets own personal ethics, not a state or federal decree.