This message is from: Heather Baskey <cavy_l...@yahoo.com>

Hi Kate

I am not a fan of lunging to blow off steam either.

However, I do
believe there is a time and place for everything - working out issues on the
ground is first and foremost (again, agreeing with what you have already
said).

I circle my horse to allow him the chance of "responsibility".  It is
his responsibility to act as a partner and perform the task/maintain gait(s).
I do not however, circle him to tire him out physically.  Whatever I do on the
ground is to engage him "mentally".  If he is not connected to me mentally -
then there is a problem/issue to work out before proceeding to anything else.
Heather
Playing Naturally with Henry
http://digilass.wordpress.com

I am not a fan of lunging just to get the
energy out, and if your horse is going to test you, you'd be hard pressed to
lunge him enough to keep him
from  testing.  BUT - lunging or working with
him first to establish who's going  to be calling the shots guarantees a
better ride for me with my little Joe.
Kate