This message is from: "robin.holl...@murraystate.edu"
<robin.holl...@murraystate.edu>

Ruthie

What a wonderful post! Thank you so much for your knowledge on this subject!

I would like to clarify the purpose of our research. Upon completion of our
study, say we determine that there is one stallion, Stallion X, that
started white markings (hypothetically). We are NOT going to tell the Fjord
community to castrate all stallions and spay all mares with Stallion X in
their ancestry. This study is by no means saying white markings are a negative
trait that should be completely eradicated from the Fjord breed.
Ruthie did an excellent job of explaining the effects on a breed if this was
done.  This study is purely for KNOWLEDGE. We want to inform the Fjord
community as to how these traits are inherited, so that if an owner so chooses
to breed a Fjord that has white, they would know the possibilities of
what the foal would look like/the genes they would carry. We want to inform
the Fjord community of our methods, so if there is an individual who has
a great interest in another trait, whether it be cosmetic, or a genetic
disease, they may use our study, modify our methods and create their own
study to enhance the knowledge the Fjord community has on breeding practices
and the genetics of the Fjord. Once again, this is purely for research
and knowledge.

Thanks again for these wonderful discussions!

Robin L Holland
8510 Springer Hall
Murray KY 42071
815/858-4042