This message is from: Lori Albrough <l...@bluebirdlane.com>

Debby wrote:
Those of you that blanket, can you tell me which you find best for our fjords
with their thicker necks.

I have written to the list before about the blankets I use, called the "Hug" blanket. I get them from http://www.blanketnet.com

Hug has a different kind front closure design from traditional blankets. The front has two flaps which cross over, something like a wrap-around skirt in concept, and the flaps fasten up by the withers with a stretchy elastic. This elastic allows the front of the blanket to give when the horse puts his head down and takes up when he raises his head. Check out their website for more information on how they work.

You can buy the Hugs in "standard" sizes, but what I have done is made use of their measuring system on their website at http://www.blanketnet.com/sizing.html and then have them modify a standard pattern for my particular Fjordhorse. I understand this semi-custom service will only be available until the end of this year.

Ever since I changed to Hug blankets I don't have any more shoulder rubs or wither rubs. The Fjord mane at the withers does get flattened down, but I see no way around that with any blanket.

Here is a picture of Prisco wearing a lightweight Hug stable blanket,
http://bluebirdlane.com/prisco-us.jpg

Here are two pictures of Kestrel & Valebu wearing Hug winter blankets.
http://bluebirdlane.com/blanket1.jpg
http://bluebirdlane.com/blanket2.jpg

And here Kestrel models how the front closure works,
http://bluebirdlane.com/blanket3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Lori
--