This message is from: Karen McCarthy <weeg...@hotmail.com>

Marsha Jo,
Very true indeed about H.I. magazine not always crediting images...Once when I
was visiting a Canadian breeder, I was hanging out in the house going thru
some new horsie mags on their coffee table. Lo and behold I found a full page
pic of my late stallion Sven in H.I.! I think it was in '92. No credits even
'tho the professional photographer said that whoever bought the image would
credit. Oh well!

About arthritic horses. I have a fantastic mare, Alycia. Super well broke to
ride & drive, afraid of nada. She was a great competition mare up until she
slipped on some ice and did her R stifle in about 5 years ago. Despite all
kinds of vet attention and joint meds, the joint is not repairable and it has
become a bit arthritic. The vets didn't completley write her off as not being
useable, but just told me to take it easy and that she would tell me her
limits.Shes never going to compete again, but she still can walk out pretty
well, and really enjoys outings, ridden and driven. I only do short trips, but
she motors right along. We stick to level and occasional moderate inclines.
Last nite I drove Alycia and her sister Idelle in the local town Christmas
parade with all the lights, sirens, bands and screaming kids. Having Alycia in
the pair was invaluable for her (sometimes) more reactive sibling Idelle. The
ponies just walked along like they had done this forever. Truth is, it has
been over 5 years since they had been hooked!(I did hook them 4 times over the
week prior to the parade though...)
I think if you really watch and listen to what your arthritic horses level of
comfort is, the horse can still have some use. I know emotionally Alycia
really perks up the more she is taken out and used. I have 2 young mares ready
to start driving soon, and Alycia is going to be recruited as their partner
when the time comes for pairs driving.
Karen in pseudo arctic central Oregon...I think today's high is 31?

> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 21:29:52 -0800
> From: han...@ai.sri.com

LOL!  Well, if you found such photo credits, it'd be a first!  Horse
Horse Illustrated is notorious for NOT describing their photos.

:: Karen McCarthy :: Great Basin Fjords :: Madras, Oregon ::

http://www.picturetrail.com/weegees