This message is from: "ruth bushnell" <fjo...@frontiernet.net>

I understand in Norway, and perhaps other countries as well, that only Fjords
that have been evaluated and approved can be used as breeding animal.

Looking at the increasing numbers of fjords in the USA that are breeding and have not been evaluated, I am wondering if it is time to introduce something
like that here. Can there be another level of registration for the
evaluated/breeding approved horses? How about those that are produced
outside of this having a limited registration?>

Has this already been discussed and thrown out? Let's hear opinions.

(sign your name)

The current scientific mandate for best breeding strategies is for varied genetic assortment; called "genetic diversity." Overall breed health is best maintained through incorporating as many original bloodlines as possible throughout the history of a breed-- this is especially true of a RARE breed because there were too few foundation animals and considerable linebreeding was commonplace in the beginning. (geographical and economical constraints)

Any breeding selection process that promotes narrowed choices is diametrically opposed to genetic diversity, therefore longterm destructive to the breed's well being. An extreme example is what the show world has done to some dog breeds, not to forget that some smaller horse breeds are also in homozygous distress.

We have a solemn responsibility to the welfare of the Fjord horse breed to be earnestly and actively searching for latest scientific information available on how we might best preserve their genome complement. Not by historical tradition, not by superficial preferences, but by asking for professional genetic policies which promote breed vigor--such as equal gender balance, limited stud use/or bloodline, and availing ourselves of latest university recommendations.

Further restricting our breeding choices would be the very worst thing we could do for the breed's genetic integrity.

Ruthie, nw mt US