This message is from: Melinda Schumacher <melinda.schumac...@gmail.com>

Tonja,

I had a bad fall cantering in an "all purpose" English saddle that sounds
something like yours, off the right shoulder.  My friends tell me the deep
seat of the dressage saddle, which is what I most want to learn, is quite
secure esp with the thigh blocks.  I hope they are right and when I am
riding regularly I plan to "graduate" to a dressage saddle.  For now, with
my intermittent riding schedule, I do feel much more secure in a western
saddle.  It may be partly due to my mindset, and certainly a strong seat is
the most important thing.....but it sure helps to have that horn to grab
onto.

Some on this list have also recommend Australian saddles as a sort of
cross-over between western and english.

Melinda
warm in Granville Oh
with Mirakel and Norrman