This message is from: Heather Baskey <cavy_l...@yahoo.com>

Trotting bareback for 20 minutes every day will also greatly develop an
independent seat (so I have been told by many friends who have used that
exercise and they all have great seats).

Although, I am "far from perfect" - the best advice that was ever given and
which amazingly kept me in the saddle, or on a bareback which has suddenly
bolted or spooked, - was to NOT clamp with the legs.  I remember as a
child/teenager being taught to use those thigh muscles to keep you in the seat
- bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh mah ha ha ... wrong answer!   It's all about your balance
point and seat and letting go of those clampy legs.  I was terrified to do
this, letting go?  but oh wow ... what an eye opener ... suddenly, I could
independently follow my horse's movement.

Again - I am a "far from perfect" rider - but those tips helped me out "big
time" in becoming closer (not there yet!) of having an independent seat.

Now - a wee bit off topic - but google "Jean Francois Pignon" on
YouTube/Google and you will see the most awesome independent seat - he is
amazing to state the least.

Heather

Forgive me for saying this, if it sounds like I'm saying go back to square
one, but having someone put you on the longe to ride w/o controlling the
horse
really does wonders, as does riding w/o stirrups out on your own. You'd be
amazed at the effective independence you gain if you haven't tried this
before.
Karen, where were chokin' on the smoke in central Oregon