This message is from: jern...@mosquitonet.com

I have two Fjords that are 33 and 35 years old and to keep weight on them I
have to
feed them Nutrena Senior Life, about 5-6 lbs daily to Stella, 33 and about 4-5
lbs
to old Bjarne, 35.  Both started to lose weight dramatically about age 28 when
on
the mostly brome hay only diet, and my farrier suggested I feed the Senior feed
as
they weren't able to get the nutrients out of the hay like they did when they
were
young.  I now feed the senior feed plus joint supplements and about a cup of
Omega
Horse shine, a stabilized flax supplement and I feed it wet, as a soft mash.
Both
had their teeth done by a good horse dentist, and still have all their teeth,
but
they are worn down pretty well, but they still eat hay very well. The dramatic
improvement in their condition when I added the senior feed make me hopefull
that
they may live a few more years! Old Bjarne already has a beautiful thick coat,
as
he has always started to shed his summer coat the day after summer solstice and
now
has a coat thicker than some fjords down south ever get.

When it is extremely cold here I increase the hay,  but not the senior feed.

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, 45 degrees today.