This message is from: Dave McWethy <4nh...@gmail.com>

First of all, thanks to you list members for your forbearance allowing the
mention of horses for sale on the lists.   When I advertised my horses for sale
just now, it was only on these lists (plus NW ADS mailings, thanks, Peter!),
and the response was huge.  I figure the least I can do by way of thanks is to
give a report of life after horses.

It's been two weeks as of tomorrow.

When I posted my offer for the horses, within 5 minutes of posting, I had my
first call.  Then a large flurry of response, tapering out over time.  I had a
total of 18 people who reached me.  I think almost every one was a person or
program that I could have considered.  The common element was that they were
well-prepared to care for horses, and in most cases ready to continue the
horses' driving careers, with riding as well.  I went from worrying about the
horses' future to being confident of it.  I wish I had had more horses to
spread around to these great folks.

My decision was to put the horses, Solven and Brisk, in the hands of Cathi
Greatorex, a person not well known on the lists, but a horse driving friend who
had groomed for me several times at Happs.  She knew the horses, and already
owned 2 Fjord mares, coming with a lifetime of horse dedication.  Cathi and her
husband Doc Hamill have their horses on 700 acres in NW Montana.  Doc, with
Cathi's participation, gives clinics around the US to help people learn to use
horses for farm work.  My - now hers - horses will likely be involved when the
clinics are held at their ranch.  Cathi tells me the horses are now living on a
20 acre pasture of yellow grass.

Meanwhile I have watched myself to see what happens when the horses go.  I miss
the solitary pleasure of chores in the morning, watching the resident chipmunk
and the crows as I gather manure, seeing the day begin, and giving the boys a
pat while they dive into their feed like it's the first time they discovered
hay.  I miss that, but I have to say I enjoy lingering over a cup of tea with
Pam instead of rushing out the door.  It's nice to be able to make evening
plans without  factoring in feeding time.  The new-found freedom is pretty
nice, and it takes me by surprise.  I still see the clock showing 6:30PM and
start to take a step for the door.  Old patterns don't go away so fast.

One day last week I was at the farm (mile from home) cleaning the trailer and
picking up the last of the manure.  I'd look over at the paddock, just
expecting to see the horses there as always, and I felt very sad.  At this
point, Tess, an Australian shepherd came by.  We know each other. She belongs
to a horse friend who lives a half mile away, out of sight, across a busy road.
 When her owner Karen rides a horse past the farm Tess is usually with her, but
today there was no Karen.  Before this I had never known Tess to visit on her
own.  Tess came up for a pat, then just hung around, which felt to me as the
finest example of animal kindness I can remember.  She stayed till I was done,
and then I gave her a ride home.

The rest of the time it's been okay.

I have done some remarkable things with these horses as partners, some of which
has been written here.  If anyone wondered if a personal issue forced the sale,
no.  It was my plan from when I moved to Washington 5 years ago to sell them
this year.  Having them sold will free me up for some other engaging things in
my life.  And I hope it will make it possible for me to do more with other
drivers and their horses.  I'm not planning to leave the horse world - still
have my life memberships in Fjord Registry and ADS!

Anyone up for a 50 mile drive and camp on dirt roads in SE Arizona this winter?

As to selling the horses, I am very clear of how challenging it would be if I'd
had to accept big compromises in placing them.  But in Cathi's hands, I know
they will have the very best of care, and that she really knows and appreciates
them.  I look forward to accepting their invitation to visit and drive the
horses in Montana.  The horses are happy, Cathi too I think, and I am.

Thanks all.

Dave