This message is from: Gail Russell <g...@zeliga.com>

The yahoo equine cushings list can help, though, if she is not in the acute
stages of founder, you might try EC horsekeeping instead.Google pasture
paradise slow feeders and see if you can figure out how to use some of their
slow feeding methods with the soaked hay.  (The slow feeder site and EC
Horsekeeping is very helpful on efficient ways to soak hay and deal with the
ensuing water when it is cold.)

Eleanor Kellon, the vet who started the Equine Cushings and Insulin Resistant
Yahoo list, recommends the fat come from flax seed. (Or you could try chia
seed, but it is a bit more pricey.  Up side of chia is you do not have to grind
it.)  The EC list and the EC Horsekeeping list will give you an emergency diet
that includes iodized salt, magnesium (don't bother with Quiessence...too
expensive) and ground flax seed, plus rinsed, soaked, rinsed grass hay.  Also
vitamin e capsules, if I remember correctly.

They then recommend you test your hay and balance the minerals to your hay.
People talk about amazing changes to their horses' attitudes and coats.

Do not feed corn oil as the fat.  Too many Omega 6's, not enough Omega 3's.  In
fact, do not feed grain-based oils to yourself or your family.  Same problem.

Your farm advisor should have a hay testing corer.  We should probably buy one
for the list and ship it around the country, but often the dairy types tend to
have the corers.

The EC Horsekeeping list will tell you where to send your test hay,
(Equi-analytical, if I remember correctly) and which test to get.

Gail